Tuesday 5 August 2008

the first post...

Hi everyone,

This is the first of (hopefully) many blogs that will chart my upcoming travels in and around Tanzania. I'm heading to Africa with my very good friend Kate, who some of you know already. Kate is currently studying medicine at Bristol, and is taking an elective in a Tanzanian hospital in September - so in terms of staying healthy and avoiding illness, I couldn't be travelling with a better person... (she's also quite nice, too). 

It's the first blog I've ever written, and I hope it will be an easy way of keeping everyone updated on where I am and what I'm doing.

I'll keep the details concise, but in preparation I've had all my hair cut off, in a style similar to that I sported in Brazil five years ago (see photo). I'm not gonna lie, it's very distressing to lose a fringe. I think I'm also all sorted in terms of packing, vaccinations, visas, money and insect repellant. Judging by the strength of the chemicals we had to soak our mosquito nets in earlier, everything will be killed in a 5 mile radius of us - not just mosquitos.

I'm planning to keep the blog updated with photos and news about what I'm up to, but this will rely quite heavily on how many internet cafés I can find (I hear they're fairly difficult to come across in the Serengeti) and whether I'll be able to upload photos as I go. I'm heading off tomorrow evening (Wednesday) at about 9.30pm from Heathrow - with a five hour stop-over in Qatar to look forward to along the way. We both arrive in Dar Es Salaam on Thursday afternoon, and plan to spend a couple of days there before heading south, down Tanzania's East coast.

A bit of safari action will be thrown into the mix, as well as some diving - and a trip to Zanzibar in our last week. I'll let you know if we decide to tackle Kilimanjaro. As you can tell, most of our plans will be finalised when we're out there. 

Please let me know what you are all up to, either via Facebook or email - and I'll try my best to keep this as up to date as possible. See you in Africa....

 





No comments: